Sorry, I couldn’t help quoting the Beatles there in the title. It just fits so well, as this post is going to be both a Goodbye and a Hello. But first of all, Happy New Year to you all, my dear tribe!! I wish us all a beautiful, breathtaking, heart-beating, and joy-filled year.
On the 31stof December, I did my annual “closing off the old year” ritual, which involves letting go of all the more painful events and experiences of the year, whilst giving thanks for the lessons learned. Now all that’s left to do is celebrate what was wonderful about 2015, and there was a lot!
The blessings of 2015
- My little Laeas. This past year was incredibly painful in that I lost three budgies that I’d loved to distraction, two of them for several years. But it also brought me a new addition, the flightless (due to a crippling disease he had as a chick) but unquenchable, infallibly charming and completely mad Laeas. He’s been like an injection of new life in my aviary, shaking up the older budgies who had become a little set in their ways.
- New friends, new Coaching clients, new inspiration. The people are what made this year, from colleagues who became friends to new Coaching clients I cherish. Coaching is my calling, and I am so very grateful for the opportunity to do this work.
- And of course, the biggie: Downsizing my life. It’s been such a blessing every single day. To step out of the madness of a long commute and long hours under incredible, relentless pressure and into a job which can still be stressful sometimes but involves the best company and colleagues and customers, and which I do from home. To be able to spend lunch with my budgies, look in on them during breaks. I have no words.
- Part of this was moving back West. For the longest time, I was so stuck in the “must have job, jobs are around Dublin, therefore must stay on the East coast” rut that I had made an uneasy peace with it. Don’t get me wrong, Wicklow IS lovely, but still practically unaffordable for me except for the price of an even longer commute. Enter Apple and working from home, and I was free to go where my heart has been since the first time I ever stepped foot into this country: West.
- Being able to sleep. For the first time in six years I live in a place where there’s quiet in the night. I can’t even begin to describe the change this has wrought in both me and the birds. We are healthier, happier, and capable of living normal lives.
Thank you life, thank you thank you thank you for 2015!
Why hello there, you sexy New Year! There’s much to do – bring it on! Now that I’m settled in this blissful new life, I need to work on making the most of it:
- Heal myself. I still have health issues which developed during the stressful and sleep-deprived previous six years. I’m a lot better already, but I’m still struggling with very low energy levels, tiredness, and a constant feeling like I have a slight cold. Of course these things are minor compared to a serious illness, but I want to tackle them now so they don’t develop into anything serious. Sleep, clean food, and regular time for myself are what I’m doing right now and need to continue and further improve.
- Exercise. I started with walks, now I’ve started with Yoga and Pilates in a more consistent way. Ten years ago I was very fit, went to the gym five times a week and walked for a minimum of an hour a day. I’m the polar opposite today but I’m working on changing it. It’s connected to my health issues, and so I’m taking it slowly but I’m longing to get my strength back which I used to cherish so much.
- Making more time for my business. I spend too little time on it right now, apart from the actual Coaching sessions. But in order to keep getting clients, I need to constantly work on my business, and it’s been taking a back seat for too long. It means I’ll have very little time for socialising, but I’m CHOOSING this and I will make it work.
- More time for creativity, mostly in the form of dancing but other things as well. This, too, needs to be incorporated and will be a slow step-by-step process, but I have robbed myself of my own core for too long already. I finally have a home again where there’s actual space for dancing, rituals, and the like; all I need to do is use it more!
Re-reading this makes me want to go “woo-hooooooo!” This is the life I choose, and I’m living it right now, all it needs is small adjustments to make it even more amazing.
Please feel free to leave a comment below. It will be visible after approval and I respond to every comment, so do check back later!